When it comes to updating the kitchen, new cabinets can make a big impact on the overall look and functionality of the space. If you’re in the market for new cabinets, it’s important to carefully consider the various qualities and attributes that will best meet your needs. Pre-made and semi-custom cabinetry are both popular options that offer a range of features and benefits. Here are a few things to consider as you shop for new kitchen cabinets.
- Materials: The material of your cabinets can greatly affect their durability, maintenance, and overall appearance. Popular options include wood, laminate, and metal. Wood cabinets offer a classic look and can be stained or painted to match your desired style. Laminate cabinets are often more affordable and easy to clean, but may not have the same level of durability as wood. Metal cabinets can add a modern touch to your kitchen and are easy to clean, but may not have the same warmth as wood.
- Construction: Look for cabinets with solid wood framing and plywood or solid wood panels. This will ensure that your cabinets are sturdy and will stand the test of time. Avoid cabinets with particleboard or medium density fiberboard (MDF) as they are not as durable and can easily warp or break.
- Hardware: Quality hardware, such as soft-closing hinges and full-extension drawers, can greatly improve the functionality of your cabinets. Investing in high-quality hardware now can save you frustration and money in the long run.
- Brand reputation: Research the reputation of the cabinet brands you are considering. Mantra and Schrock are both reputable cabinet providers known for their quality materials and construction.
- Customization options: Pre-made cabinets often have limited customization options, while semi-custom cabinets offer more flexibility in terms of size, style, and features. Do you want add-ons like a spice rack drawer? Are you hoping to hide your small appliances inside of an appliance garage? In these cases, semi-custom is the way to go. Are you looking for the fastest, cheapest option with no customizations needed? Premade cabinets may be a good choice for you. Consider your specific needs and preferences when deciding which option is best for you.
- Size: Consider the space you are using. Many kitchens in Western Washington are relatively small. Maximizing the utility of your kitchen can be key. It might make sense to spend a little more on semi-custom cabinets or custom cabinets which can do the most with smaller spaces.
- Cost: Determine your budget and look for cabinets that offer the best value for your money. Don’t sacrifice quality for a lower price, as you may end up paying more in the long run for repairs or replacements.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed by the process of choosing new kitchen cabinets, a Tops Solid Surface Design team member can assist you in designing your dream kitchen setup. We are also happy to refer you to other reputable cabinet providers in the area. With the right cabinets, you can transform your kitchen into a functional and stylish space that meets all of your needs.
You can learn more about kitchen cabinet options at Tops at this link!